About Us
- Filip and Elena Milosavljevic
- Banepa, Nepal
- We are a young married couple eager to serve Jesus wherever He would have us go. After much prayer, the Lord opened the doors for us to come to Nepal! We are working for Scheer Memorial Hospital/School (www.scheermemorialhospital.org). From September to December, we will be teaching Bible classes in the hospital school, doing Bible work with the locals, and some hospital shadowing. The following are blogs of significant events and experiences. Enjoy, and keep us in your prayers So with that foundation, Filip and I seek to serve in various capacities here in Nepal for both God’s glory and the furthering of His Kingdom!
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Rice Harvesting!
Yesterday was the most exhausting day I (Filip) have had here in Nepal. At the end of the day I was so tired, I couldn't get up to go to prayer meeting, I feel asleep at 5 pm. That morning, when I walked out of our apartment I saw a church family harvesting their rice. I thought, "You know, this would be a good thing to try while I am here." If you have never seen rice grown, it looks similar to that of wheat fields, except its growing in moist, wet ground. So, I got a small sickle, and started cutting. The Nepali people working at the hospital compound started watching this foreigner in the fields. People laughed, stared, whispered, and thought, "How much are you paying him?" After you cut the rice stalks, its stacked, then carried to a holding place to then actually take off the rice capsules from the stalks. These people work sooooo hard. To be honest there is no laziness allowed. It's survival work, or starvation. The average person makes less then 70 rupees, equal to one dollar. The family I was helping had the father carrying the stacks, then the mother, and two daughters were cutting the stalks. You wouldn't believe it, but even the 76 year old grandmother was cutting the stalks in the mud too! Incredible! Nepal is like Bible times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The large scale of time for relaxation that first world citizens have is unheard of in a post-diluvian world. Even our poor live as kings comparatively. It is all to easy to think of it as an entitlement instead of a blessing. Praise God for allowing it, because I'm not sure we have achieved this in an Earth respecting manner. Using your time for mission work is something I admire about you two.
ReplyDeleteI think you said it right, even the poor believe they are entitled to a better life, we all do! We have welfare to support those who can't make it on their own. Not to say it's totally wrong, but most people in the world live on less then two dollars a day, which they had to work for from sun up to sundown. Free time is unheard of!
ReplyDelete